Surviving Day 1 As a Working Mom

Well, it’s the end of the day and I made it.  It was my first day ever as a working mom.

I played with Max for about 45 minutes before getting ready for work.  I called to check in twice.  I got home and parked in the closer spot outside the building rather than my designated spot downstairs because I wanted to make it inside quicker to see my boy.

He had a great day with his grandmother.  He napped well.  Ate reasonably.  Was fascinated by the other kids at the park.  Had a few bites of banana. 

When I saw him, his dad who had beaten me home, was changing his diaper.  Then Max jumped like crazy for me in the jumperoo.  J. wore him for a while in the baby bjorn.  Then we both gave him a bottle and read him a book.  We made up a song to sing him to sleep at night.  Tried a few versions of it before deciding on the one we like.  Then he was off to bed.

It seems like such a brief encounter with him … and this on a day when I had ZERO billable work.  So, when various folks stopped by my office with a knowing head tilt and asked me how I was doing.  I could truthfully say I was fine.  But I keep thinking about how not-fine I might be when I ramp back up and have to pay the price of the slow days I’m having now.  In big firm life, no work on a Thursday equals work on a weekend to make up for it, as if I took a vacation day.

Dinner was quick and easy.  I had frozen a couple of batches of leftover homemade tomato zucchini sauce.  I added fresh garlic, homegrown basil, and parsley to it and farmer’s market roasted garlic pasta.  I ate half the portion I normally would.  Had two bites of chocolate, and then a bowl full of cherries kindly provided by my mother in law.



  1. Mommy, Esq. said,

    June 5, 2009 at 4:51 am

    I hope things stay quiet for a while but that you aren’t panicked about layoffs. I so know how you feel. I’m actually feeling so much better after 3 months back even with being busy and working some on weekends and missing some bedtimes. I stay home and work from home at least once a week and that helps me feel connected with the kids.

  2. Gretchen said,

    June 5, 2009 at 5:18 am

    Thanks for the update. Was hoping you had an okay day back.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: